As a companion to my “Talk the talk..” post, I thought I’d give you some handy tips about what you should ask the people you’re going to be staying with pre-departure.
I obviously failed miserably at this, I was met at the airport to find the family had a third son I had completely no idea about!
- How many children will I be looking after, what are their ages?
- What are the children’s personalities like? What do they like to do for fun? Are there any problem areas e.g. fussy eaters, allergies?
- What is the children’s daily routine?
- What exactly are my duties and responsibilities?
- What time am I expected to start and finish work?
- What can I do in my spare time? What do you do as a family in your spare time?
- Are we going to be eating together? If so, what time? If not, what is available to me?
- What language do you wish me to speak in? How much English do you and the kids speak?
- Where will I be staying? Am I expected to share a room with the kids?
- What do you do for work? What is your daily routine?
- Have you had an au pair before? If so, what was your experience?
- Are there any religious/cultural norms or rules I should be aware of?
- Do you travel a lot? If so, will I be travelling with you and am I expected to pay for my share of the transport fees?
- How do you see an au pair fitting into your family?
- Tell me about the area you live in. What commodities are there?
- Will I be expected to cook and clean? If so, to what extent?
- Do you need me to be able to drive? If so, do you have a car I can use?
- Why are you choosing to have an au pair rather than a nanny or daycare?
- Do you have internet or computer access?
- Do I need to pay for my own flight?
- What happens if I feel unwell? Is there a doctors close by? Will you give me time off?
- How will I be paid, in euros or pounds, weekly or monthly?
- What kind of clothes should I pack, is there anything in particular I will need?
- How should I behave if the children will not listen or are rude?
- Do you have any pets?
Well I hope that just about covers it, my brain is refusing to come up with any more!